Far enough away from IH35 to avoid noise and exhaust clouds, yet near enough to make day-trips to major metropolitan areas, Clifton is situated ideally for people wanting to enjoy everyday life in "the country" with an occasional visit to "the big city". Information on major highways, public transportation systems including air, rail and scheduled bus services is summarized below.
Clifton is located 35 miles northwest of Waco along State Highway 6, 90 miles southwest of the Dallas/Fort Worth Metroplex, and 90 miles northwest of Austin. Major State Highway 6 and FM 219 intersection in Clifton receives approximately 17,000 cars per day.
- Clifton Municipal Airport, Isenhower Field
Runway: Asphalt, 3,000 feet, illuminated.
Two miles from downtown Clifton.
Clifton Aero (Tim Tally, owner).
- Nearest commercial airport: Waco
Distance: 40 minutes.
SkyWest dba Continental Connections to Houston.
American Eagle to DFW
- DFW International Airport, 100 miles to the north
- Bergstrom International Airport located in Austin, 100 miles to the south.
- Burlington Northern Santa Fe (main line).
- Shipping time to major market areas: daily.
- Schedule of daily service: all hours.
- Reciprocal switching available.
- Local industrial sites are served by rail.
- Existing rail spur currently serves four sites.
- Distance to nearest piggyback service: 100 miles.
- AmTrack stops in McGregor: 30 miles.
- Number of lines serving area: 12.
- Number of lines trucking interstate and intrastate: 12.
- Number of lines with terminals in area: 5.
- Shipping times to major market areas: all hours.
- Truck leasing available: U-Haul.
- Provider: Skinner Transportation (terminal).
- Central Freight Lines (no terminal in city).
- Both UPS and FedEx serve Clifton.
- Major roadways that serve Clifton: State Highway 6 and FM 219.
- How far to nearest North/South Interstate: 35 miles (I-35).
- How far to nearest East/West Interstate: 90 miles (I-20/I-30).
- How far to nearest four lane highway: 25 miles (Hwy. 6).
Public transportation for senior citizens, through Bosque County Transit, serves all of the county residents for medical appointments and other appointments in and out of the county.